In winter we do have sunny days with clear blue skies but Canberra weather can sometimes be a bit deceiving. It has been very cold lately, too cold for my liking but it is definitely the weather for comfort food.
To keep warm this winter, I have a few recipes up my sleeve and this is one of them. This potato and leek soup is deliciously creamy and trust me, by the time you finish your first bowl, you will sigh with contentment.
Potato and Leek Soup
35 gm butter
1 medium size onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
600 grams potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
375 ml evaporated milk
Salt and white pepper
1. Discard the dark green part of the leeks. Cut the leek lengthwise, finely slice the leeks and rinse thoroughly to remove any dirt.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté onions, garlic and leek.
3. Add chopped potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Pour in vegetable stock and stir to combine. Leave it to simmer uncovered until the potatoes are tender.
5. Using a blender, purée mixture until smooth.
6. Return puréed mixture to heat and add milk. Season with salt and white pepper.
7. Bring to boil and serve.
Garnish the soup with some chopped chives or spring onions, this is optional. But I like mine with freshly ground black pepper. Go ahead and make some today.
Do you have a favourite soup recipe for winter?